Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Walmart Illegal Overtime


Overtime:
The Fair Labor Standards Act establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and youth employment standards to eliminate illegal overtime.  Wal-Mart needs to adhere to the guidelines set by the Fair Labor Standards Act.  Doing so will eliminate Walmart employee complaints

Unless specifically exempted an employee covered by the act must receive special overtime pay of at least one and a half times their regular pay for every hour over 40 worked in a week.  The act doesn't require overtime pay for holidays, Saturdays, or Sundays.  A work week is defined as any period of 7 consecutive days.  Work times may only be calculated on a weekly basis, and can not be averaged over any time longer than a week.  For example; if a worker works 45 hours one week, then the next week they work 15 hours, they are still entitled for 5 hours of overtime for the first week worked.  When non-cash payments are made to employees in the form of goods or facilities, the fair value of such goods must be calculated into the regular rate.

For more information on illegal overtime and overtime pay you can visit U.S. Department of Labor's website at www.dol.gov, or via the toll-free helpline at 1-866-4USWAGE

"Fact Sheet #23: Overtime Pay Requirements of the FLSA"  U.S. Department of Labor.  Accessed September 2009  <http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs23.pdf>

1 comment:

  1. Angelique
    6/30 6:30
    I ordered an item, received tracking number 6/22. I tracked today, no movement.
    I called and held for 10 minutes before speaking to Angelique who advised item did not ship and she would replace the order. I explained I have waited 10 days since my order, eight days from shipping notice. I asked if she would ship "standard" shipping at no charge. She advised it was too late, she could have done it, but that I would "get more bees with honey", it's too late. I told her I was pleasant until then, but confused by the "bees with honey" (huh?). I told her I would contact a manager, she said in a "sing-song" voice, that's fine and she was "happy she gave me something to talk about" then hung up on me.
    Replacement order:
    2677293-574036
    Original order:
    2677293-574036
    Regards,
    PS. I will share this on every internet site, yelp, Facebook, Twitter, and every complaint site out there.
    Sadly, my "honey" got me no "bees", I'll try vinegar.

    ReplyDelete