Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Walmart discrimination in the workplace lawsuits


Equal Workplace Rights:
Despite four decades of focus on equal workplace rights, gender discrimination concerns still persist.  Wal-Mart has never been found guilty of gender discrimination, and it may never be - considering many of these cases are settled out of court.  But as recently as 2007, in the case of Dukes v. Wal-Mart, 1.5 million women got the go-ahead from federal appeals court for a class-action lawsuit, with claims that Wal-Mart shortchanged female employees on opportunities for promotion.

Patricia Surgeon, a plaintiff in the lawsuit claimed that she was a layaway manager making $7.50 an hour.  But when she was reposted to the cashiers office, her replacement made nearly twice as much.  She also stated that, "[Wal-Mart] would never post [open management positions]," and claims her bosses often assumed that she wouldn't be interested in jobs that would require her to relocate.  She recalls that they would say "you have a family, you can't do that."

These types of cases are hugely detrimental to a large business.  They get bad press from the media, and they're usually forced to settle things out of court rather than risk losing a trial.  Robin Conrad a vice president for the US chamber of commerce says, "it's basically extortion" for the plaintiffs.
 
In order to prevent discrimination in the workplace lawsuits and other Walmart employee complaints  Walmart should adhere to the recommendations on avoiding job promotion discrimination are mentioned later in this report.

Trumbull, Mark "Wal-Mart suit shows glass ceiling still an issue" The Christian Science Monitor.  February 8, 2007.  <http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0208/p01s02-ussc.html>

4 comments:

  1. Riverhead newyork walmart discriminate against people it's so sad.thats why I left human rights.I will speak out my voice will be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had financial problems, then it is time for you to smile. You only need to contact Mr. Benjamin  with the amount you wish to borrow and the payment period that suits you and you will have your loan  within three working days. I just benefited for the sixth time a loan of 700 thousand dollars for a period of 180 months with the possibility of paying before the expiration date. Mr Benjamin has be helping me with loan.Make contact with him and you will see that he is a very honest man with a good heart.His email is lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com and his WhatApp phone number is + 1-989-394-3740 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Injury:
    I injury my lower back. I was a new employee and was told to get a box of hard told from the deep freezer. Upon entering I attempted to get the box and fell on a cart hitting my lower back on the cart and then landing on the floor. I laid there in pain for 20 to 30 minutes. I told co-worker and they told me to tell my supervisor and I did and she said I will get with you later and get back to work. I worked for 2 more days until I could no longer get out of bed. I call the hiring manager Deion Lewis and reported the occurrence and asked what to do because I was in so much pain bit at the time couldn't work. He told me to call in and he would notify my supervisor that was 2 weeks ago. As a new employee whom didn't go through any training because of the virus they were not able to do any training prior to hiring. I didn't want to lose my job because I loved working in the deli department. I then called the store manager whom through a third party was told to contact supervisor. I explained that she was not returning my calls and again through a third party was told the store manager with contact my supervisor and that was 2 week ago. As of todate no one from Walmart has ever called and explained the process so I could keep my job. I hope an pray that someone in the corporate world will encourage my Walmart store to review customer care for the consumer and their employee. I am so sad I am not long working with Walmart because I lost too many days due to my injury on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Indianapolis IN and worked on east Washington Street, Indianapolis IN store number 1580

    ReplyDelete